By: Mustafa J. Salem ,Mohamed Shelmani and Khaled M.Oun
The Earth Science Society of Libya (ESSL), might be the oldest scientific society in Libya that’s nonetheless lively since its basis again in 1958. As a non-revenue, geological society it had tons of of earth science actions since its basis, starting from month-to-month lectures introduced by distinguished audio system, to area seminars and symposia ( each native and worldwide) , technical workshops and worldwide conferences that have been attended by lots of of specialists and teachers from everywhere in the World.
The society by way of its comparatively lengthy historical past not solely organised scientific and technical actions but in addition is well-known for its excessive commonplace publications on the geology of Libya and neighbouring nations, ‘because of the beneficiant help from oil business by means of the years’. With over fifty seven years of actions, the library of the society has added-as much as exceed sixty publications, a few of which date again to 1958 ( Figures, 1 and a couple of), which type primary information concerning the geology of Libya and neighbouring nations. For particulars of the society’s historical past , please discuss with : Libya Herald on thirteenth. September 2013 “ fifty five Years of Scientific Contributions; the Earth Science Society of Libya (previously the Petroleum Exploration Society of Libya) 1958-2013”. By Mustafa J. Salem .
Amongst its newest worldwide actions ESSL was planning to arrange an Worldwide Convention on the ‘ Nubian Sandstone’, in late 2011. Although the stated convention needed to be postponed because of the seventeenth. February Revolution, nonetheless the opposite actions of the society have continued after the revolution ( 2012-current).
Because the revolution, the society has finalised the publication of its remaining volumes of the collection on the ‘Sedimentary Basins of Libya’. The three quantity-set on the ‘Geology of Southern Libya’ was launched in late 2013. The set included the scientific work of over hundred scientists, oil specialists and academists from everywhere in the World. Their work was introduced in ‘fourth and final’ convention of the “ Sedimentary Basins of Libya” a scientific undertaking which was initiated by ESSL collectively with Nationwide Oil Company (NOC) again in 1990 of the final century . Tens of publications have been revealed because of the stated venture and a number of other area excursions and conferences have been organised within the life span of the venture (Determine three).
Since over a yr, the Earth Science Sociey , was unable to organise any area seminars or worldwide gatherings, primarily because of safety causes in Libya. The society nevertheless has determined to look again in historical past for its former publications that have been revealed within the first decade of its establishement ‘fifties and sixties of the final century . As all of those publications have been already out of print ‘ subsequently very exhausting to get’, and to be able to allow ESSL members entry to those publications, the society has determined to breed all these previous publications in digital format in order that they will simply be obtained and skim.
The venture began with a number of contacts with former members of the ESSL for any assist in finding private copies of those uncommon publications. Because of Drs. F.T. Barr, W. Kanes, E. Klitzsch, O. S. Hammudah, M.T. Busrewil , M. Klitzsch and M. J. Salem for lending their private copies of a number of the most wanted publications.
As some publications have been nonetheless not out there , even with the assistance of a number of former members who have been approached, a worldwide interlibrary search was initiated, because of the assistance provided by Wintershall Oil Co. ‘with the type coordination and assist of Dr. M. Klitzsch’. The corporate has kindly set-up the search and was capable of present virtually all the remaining publications and ship them via firm mail to be scanned.
All of the allotted publications have been hand-carried to Malta to be rigorously scanned, double checked and professionally produced in digital format on DVD’s. An area , competent artist and IT professional was delegated to revamp the covers of the DVDs . The unique cowl designs have been partly retained each time potential.
A complete of 18 uncommon publications courting again to 1958- 1971 have been produced in digital format and at the moment are obtainable with the ESSL workplace for distribution at value.
These uncommon publications are as follows:
• Tour to Southern Tunisia- First Annual Area Convention for the Society ‘ PESL’- 1959;
• Tour to Sicily- Second Annual Subject Convention for the Society ‘PESL’ – 1960;
• Tour to Yugoslavia- Fourth Annual Area Convention for the Society ‘PESL’ – 1962;
• Tour to Provence-France- Fifth Annual Subject Convention for the Society ‘PESL’ – 1963;
• First Saharan Symposium- First Symposium on Geology of Libya organized by PESL – 1963;
• Tour to Jebel Nefusa- Organized as a part of First Saharan Symposium -1963;
• Tour to Aouinet Ouenine- Organized as a part of First Saharan Symposium -1963;
• Guidebook to the Geology and Archaeology of Egypt- Sixth Annual Subject Convention for the Society ‘PESL ‘- 1964;
• Information to the Geology and Tradition of Greece- Seventh Annual Area Convention for the Society ’PESL’- 1965;
• A Information to the Geology and Prehistory of South-central Libya and Northern Chad -Eight Annual Subject Convention for the Society ‘PESL’ -1966;
• Guidebook to the Geology and Historical past of Tunisia- Ninth Annual Area Convention for the Society ‘PESL’- 1967;
• Geology and Archaeology of Northern Cyrenaica- Tenth Area Convention for the Society ’ PESL’-1968;
• Geology, Archaeology and Prehistory of Southwestern Fezzan- Eleventh Annual Area Convention for the Society ‘PESL’- 1969;
• Geology and Historical past of Turkey- Thirteenth Annual Subject Convention for the Society ‘PESL’-1971;
• Lexique Stratigraphique Worldwide IVa – On Stratigraphic Nomenclature of Libya – 1960;
• Gemini Area Pictures of Libya and Tibisti- A geological and Geographical Evaluation-1968;
• Microfacies of Libya – Descriptions of Chosen Photomicrographs of Sedimentary Rocks from Libya -1967;
• Miocene Rocks of Marada and Jebel Zelten – A Research of Shoreline Sedimentation, Zelten, Libya-1966;
With this effort of the Earth Science Society of Libya (ESSL) and the type assist of a number of people and corporations, it’s lastly attainable to make obtainable all the ESSL previous publications to all members and scientific group at giant. Such publications have been un-obtainable or very arduous to find for a few years. Subsequently, it’s for the primary time that each one revealed materials of the ESSL and PESL because the institution of the society ‘1958’ until at this time at the moment are obtainable both as arduous copies or in digital format ( Figures 2 and four) .
Presently the ESSL is engaged on publishing a brand new e-book concerning the water assets of Libya. This guide consists of the scientific outcomes of the worldwide Water Assets Convention that was organized and hosted by the Ministry of Water Assets and the Basic Water Authority. Hopefully this publication which is at present in press, might be out there for readers inside the subsequent few weeks. It’s hoped that the ESSL will retain its actions and scientific occasions within the fields of earth sciences as quickly because the safety state of affairs within the nation improves .
Mustafa J. Salem: Scientific Editor- Lively Member of Earth Science Society of Libya (ESSL), Professor emeritus , Geology Division ,College of Tripoli, Libya.
Mohamed Shelmani: Lively Member of Earth Science Society of Libya (ESSL), Geologist-Marketing consultant in petrleum geology of Libya, Binghazi Libya.
Khaled M. Oun: Scientific Editor-Lively Member of Earth Science Society of Libya (ESSL), Professor , Geology Division,College of Tripoli, Libya.